This post, along with next week’s (stay tuned) and my Planning for the Holidays article, could be printed out and left for family members in a prominent location. Think of it as your gift to every nursing home family.
~Happy Holidays from Dr. El at mybetternursinghome.com
With Hanukkah and Christmas just around the corner, you may be wondering what would make a good present for a relative in a nursing home. In my efforts to banish the barren nursing home room, photos are still my number one pick for holiday gifts, but here are other suggestions (be sure to label everything!):
- Nice lotions, soaps, and grooming products
- A special bedspread
- A “lap” blanket to wear while sitting in a wheelchair
- Wheelchair accessories (Google it) like cup holders, side pockets, wheel lights, etc.
- Sturdy clothes that can handle being washed in an industrial washing machine
- Colorful bangle bracelets to blend in with nursing home wrist bands
- Plants, or potted flowers, especially if you can come by to water them regularly
- Make a commitment to visit once a week, or once a month
- Make a commitment to call once a week, or once a day
- Organize friends and family so that each person has a week to call or visit
- Bring a home-cooked meal
- Organize friends and family to bring a home-cooked meal on a regular basis